Sunday, August 30, 2015

Home Made Model Magic



Oh goodness I have gotten behind on the blog! We've been on vacation and it takes us some time to recover plus We have lots of exciting new things starting up this Fall including a preschool(ish) program for Echo, connection with a fabulous homeschool group, me starting yoga, and a lot of doctors visits for me and Eric, so it's been a whirlwind.

I'll get back in the swing of things by sharing this short project (I'm dying to share my vacation photos but that will have to wait a little longer).

I recently tried a recipe from Pinterest (where else?) for home made Model Magic clay, which is a Crayola product. I have used Model Magic in the past while teaching art and loved it! The texture reminds me of marshmallow fondant, so fun to play with! It's super expensive though so I thought I'd give the home made stuff a try. All you have to do is mix 2 cups baking soda, one cup corn starch and one and a half cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly and continue to stir until it thickens to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Remove the pot from heat and allow the clay to cool (cover with a dish towel to keep it from drying out too much). If it is too wet and sticky like mine was you can kneed a little corn starch in to it. I also scented mine with a little lemon essential oil because it smells a little weird on it's own.

It was really fun to play with and Echo and I loved making things with it. It wasn't quite the same as Model Magic but it still had a great texture and was fun to use. Our sculptures all cracked and fell apart when we left them out to dry so I'm not sure what we did wrong there but if you just want to use it like play dough it works great.

No comments:

Post a Comment