Monday, May 30, 2011

Raccoon Sighting!

This morning we had our first major wildlife sighting in our new yard. We see a lot of birds and squirrels (and moles although these are all dead ones that the cats bring in) but we haven't seen anything more exciting than that until today. As I was getting ready for my shower this morning I looked out the bathroom window on to the back deck and saw a rounded, furry body poking around in our empty cooler that we had left out there. I immediately assumed it was a cat but it didn't look like one of our cats so I tapped on the window to get it's attention so that I could get a good look at it. When it looked up at me I saw that is was a raccoon! The cutest little raccoon you ever saw! I snatched my robe and ran to the back deck yelling to Eric that there was a raccoon out there and grabbing my camera along the way. I managed to get one decent shot of him before he ran away.

sooo cute!
 About this time Reese (our smallest cat) decides that it would be a good idea for her to chase the raccoon (because she thinks she's pretty tough). She takes off after it and we take off after her, terrified that the thing is rabid and is going to eat her alive. Fortunately it just ran up a tree and Reese soon lost interest and came back to house (feeling pretty proud of herself for having successfully defended us). Eventually the raccoon came down and walked off in to the wooded area behind our house. I will definitely be on the lookout for this guy again!

1 comment: