Sunday, September 18, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Eric and I stole away to do some camping for the weekend and I have to say it was the perfect trip at the perfect time. The weather was fabulous, the scenery was beautiful and the location was full of sweet memories (it was the State park where we got engaged two years ago). It was great to get away for the weekend, just the two of us, and forget about reality for a while. It took me back to that giddy period right after we first got engaged, ahhh memories :-)

All that being said it is the most incredible feeling to be home again. Am I crazy to think that part of the joy of traveling is the relief of coming back home? I have been thinking a lot about my true nature, trying to know myself really well and there is a big part of me that is just a huge home body. I like to get away for a short while and then retreat back to my nest. Eric and I are both Cancers in the zodiac and I always think about how we are so true to that in so many ways. I know that signs of the zodiac are just for fun but it really is incredible how many Cancer characteristics describe us to a T. One of the biggest things I've noticed is that we love making our home a wonderful retreat, we both really value home and family.

Getting away is probably the best way to make me appreciate my home all over again, along with all it's little homey touches. What is it about your house that really makes you feel at home? Here are some of my top things that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I'm home:


Number 1: Our cats. Nothing makes a house a home like having little furry babies around. We miss them when we're gone and they definitely make our home worth coming back to.
Number 2: Candles. If you've ever been to a party at our place you've probably noticed we have a million candles burning. We love having candles around, especially of the scented variety. 
Number 3: Our bed. Especially after camping, nothing beats sleeping in your own bed. Bed by Ikea, quilt by Urban Outfitters.
Number 4: Lighting. As anyone can tell you, lighting has a huge influence on the look and feel of a place. For me nothing says home light the warm afternoon light coming through our giant front windows. 
Number 5: House plants. Something about having these little living things that depend on you for survival gives you sense of purpose and ownership in your home. 
Of course sharing you home with the right person is also a huge factor in loving where you live. I'm fortunate enough to share my home with my wonderful husband. Not only that, but the other people who mean the most to me in the world, my Mom and Dad, live just a few houses over. What more could a girl ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment