Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tree Triptych

At long last I've finished the tree paintings I started so long ago! This is a project I began back in February when we had a full week off due to snow and I was cooped up in the house all day. To me that week was heaven, staying at home all day, painting and cooking delicious food in my crock pot. By the time the snow week ended I had only finished two of the three paintings however and I never could quite work up the will to finish the third painting, until today that is :-)  I planed this series of paintings to go over our fireplace in our current house as soon as we started the buying process. We have these huge high ceilings and a big blank wall over the fireplace and I knew I wanted a large piece of art to go there. As a new homeowner however, I knew I wouldn't be able to afford something the size that I wanted to go up there so I decided to make it myself! The imagery is inspired by all the lovely windows that offer views of our plentiful trees. I wanted these paintings to mimic the windows on either side of the fire place and provide a trompe l'oeil effect, acting as faux windows to the outside world. I'm so pleased with how they cam out and so happy to have the whole set finished! Here are some pictures.


The finished triptych


 The images above are some in progress shots taken back at our old house when I was first starting the paintings. I worked in multiples layers of color to add depth and used a lot of scumbling during the process. The paintings are oil on canvas.  


 These a few close up, detail shots of some of the tree branches.

Finished and in their proper place, hooray!

3 comments: