Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A DYI Birthday Gift

Wow I have been really remiss in my blogging this past month! Blame it on the fact that I am 9 months pregnant and had a crazy last few weeks of work. I am now officially on maternity leave and have some extra time on my hand which is lovely. Maybe I will finally get caught up! So anyway, I'm going to start with some DYI projects that I've been meaning to blog about and then I will catch everyone up on what I've been doing lately.

This project is from all the way back in July, for Eric's Birthday specifically. As part of our push to save money (which is still going awesomely by the way!) we have been wanting to look in to making more gifts instead of buying. It's more personal and I'm pretty crafty when I put my mind to it so why not? Something that Eric really likes are those little moleskin notebooks. They are the perfect size to carry in his pocket and jot down ideas on. Him being the engineer that he is he likes them to have graph paper instead of regular paper so I decided to make a few for his birthday to add to the store bought gifts I got him.

For the cover I used scrap cardboard, the inside pages are just regular graph paper that I cut down to  a manageable size. One advantage of using graph paper is that it's easy to cut straight because of all the grid lines :-) 

I used an awl to poke holes through both the inside pages and the cover and stitched it up with embroidery thread.  

Lastly, I used fine tip sharpies to decorate the covers. 
This is a great, easy and cheap homemade gift. I would definitely do this in the future for stocking stuffers and the like. I think I may try screen printing the covers in the future and see how that turns out. If you are looking for a fun and easy project you should give this one a try :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment