Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Homemade Pita and Hummus




Since I am on a huge baking and home made condiment kick (and have been for the last few months) I have really wanted to try making my own hummus and pita bread. I think fresh hummus is sooo much tastier than store bought and I had heard it was easy so I thought I'd give it a try. 

hummus topped with kalamata olives and paprika 

For the hummus I used this recipe from The Partial Ingredients and for the Pita I used this recipe from Under The High Chair. Overall it came out really well but I think I would make a few tweaks in the future when trying these two recipes. The hummus had a great flavor and was super easy to make. i used dry chickpeas instead of canned so it took a  little longer but was still no big deal. My only complaint was that it came out a tiny bit dry. The Lebanese woman who I bought the tahini from for this suggested adding some plain yogurt for creaminess so i might try that next time.

The pita bread was yummy but it didn't puff up quite as much as I would have liked, this is probably due to some error on my part though. I used white flour so it ended up tasting a lot like pizza dough to me, in fact I used my extras to make some yummy pizza pita pockets. I think i might try wheat flour next time since I usually get wheat pitas and tend to like the texture better.

In any case it was definitely well worth the effort and I will experiment and try both of these again. Even though they didn't come out perfect they still beat the pants off the store bought stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. Delicious! Great pics, too!

    The best thing about homemade hummus is how CHEAP it is to make! Love it. I love to put sun-dried tomatoes from YDFM in mine, and usually don't even bother with tahini (sub. sesame oil) - though I am sure yours was way better than ours is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sesame oil is a great idea for subbing for tahini! Might make it even cheaper, I will have to try that next time. It also might help with the hummus being a bit dry I'm thinking. I definitely want to try adding some different flavors too.

      Delete