Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My First Sewing Project

Ok, it's not really my first sewing project but the first one I've attempted in many years. When I was a kid I was fearless with the sewing machine. I attempted to sew my own clothing all the time and then insisted on wearing my creations out in public (I have to thank my mom for having the curage to allow me to do this). Why is this machine so much more intimidating now that I'm a grown up? For my first project I wanted something really simple that I could use to practice and boost my confidence. I found an idea for a simple reversible scarf on Martha Stewart's website and I was off.

it's reversible, yay!

Cute fabric I got from the remnant bin at Hancock Fabrics. 

I used fleece on one side and cotton on the other. The material cost about $4 total and I have lots leftover. 

This is too closeup to see very well but i had my 35mm lens on and was too lazy to change it. Anyway, you get the idea ;-P
This is pretty much the easiest thing you could possibly make, I highly recommend it for beginners. All you have to do is choose one lightweight fabric and one heavier, warmer fabric (I did cotton on one side and fleece on the other), cut to your desired length and pin the right sides together. Then you just sew up the whole thing leaving about a 2 inch gap on one of the short ends. Flip the whole thing inside out and iron it and then use a slip stich to close it up and you're done! My scarf turned out so warm and cozy. I can't wait for colder weather so i can wear it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment