Sunday, November 3, 2013

Beeswax Candles


With the colder weather we've been having I've been getting in to making beeswax candles at home. This is such a great, easy project and it conjures up all kinds of good childhood memories since this is something I did a lot of as a kid. I absolutely love candles and I usually have at least 2 burning in the house on any given day. There were easy and inexpensive to make and the beeswax gives off a lovely, sweet smell.

I purchased my beeswax from the honey people at my local farmers market (much cheaper and better quality than buying it from a craft store) and I ordered the wick from amazon. The glass containers for the candles I picked up at a yard sale, paying $2 for 8 glasses. I melted the beeswax in a double broiler and hung the wicks above the glasses by tying them to a bamboo chopstick which I rested on the top edge of each glass. Then all I had to do was carefully fill each glass with melted wax and allow to cool before trimming the wick. So easy and lovely! This will be a great project to do with Echo when she gets a little older too and I'm thinking these would make wonderful homemade gifts :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love scented candles, do you think you can add scent to these ones? Maybe using essential oils? I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could although I haven't tried it myself. Maybe next round of candle making I will experiment with scents. I do love the natural beeswax scent though!

      Delete