Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Crock Pot Marinara Sauce

Home made sauce with pasta and goat cheese crumbles
A little while ago it occurred to us to look at the list of ingredients on our pasta sauce jar. I can't remember why we were looking at it but what i do remember is that we came away from it feeling shocked by the amount of sugar that was in store bought sauce. It's not that I am against sugar per se (it tastes sooooo good!) but I really don't feel like it has any business being in my pasta sauce. I decided it would be cheaper and healthier to make sauce on my own and this is a recipe I came up with by combining a number of different recipes I found online. It's so easy because you can just put all the ingredients in the crock pot and leave it all day and it has a wonderful fresh taste. I find that the balsamic vinegar gives the sauce just a hint of sweetness without having to add any sugar at all. It should keep for a week or two in the fridge or you can freeze it for later use. This recipe makes the equivalent of  3 jars of store bought sauce.

Ingredients
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
i onion, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbs oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tbs basil
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cube beef bullion

Toss all the ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. Carefully (it's hot!) transfer to jars and allow to cool before refrigerating or freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment