Thursday, November 14, 2013

Brunswick Stew


Being the good Southern girl that I am I love me some brunswick stew! I had actually never had this until I moved to Georgia, I think it must be a South Eastern thing. If you've never had it you are missing out. Traditionally it is made with a variety of meats including squirrel and sometimes rabbit but nowadays most people make it with chicken and pork which is what I did. I'm pretty proud of this recipe since I pretty much made it up on my own (with a tiny bit of help from the internet). i think it rivals any brunswick stew I've had at restaurants. It has the perfect combination of sweet, smokey and spicy, perfect for this cold weather we're having!

Ingredients
1 Tbs butter
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup chopped green beans ( you can also use lima beans or edamame which is what I did since it's all I had on hand)
2 cups pulled pork
2 cups shredded chicken ( I used leftover chicken from broth I made earlier in the week)
1 cup frozen corn
4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup sweet BBQ sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tsp black pepper
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
2 Tbs tomato paste

In a large Dutch oven, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Toss in all the other ingredients and simmer for one hour. Optional: top with sour cream, grated cheese or hot sauce. 



No comments:

Post a Comment