Friday, January 4, 2013

Cheese Bannocks




Eric and I recently placed an Amazon order for some specialty food items since certain things are way cheaper to buy in bulk online. One of these items was oat flour because there are some homemade cracker recipes I've been wanting to try that require it. I'm trying to use more whole grains and I'm experimenting with different flours as well so I was excited to try oat flour. When I was unpacking our box of flour I noticed a recipe for cheese bannocks on the back of Arrowhead Mills flour bag and decided to give it a go. For those of you who don't know a bannock is a kind of flat bread very similar to a scone (in Scotland the words bannock and scone are used interchangeably). This recipe was easy and delicious! Plus it is 100% whole grain but it doesn't taste like a health food, yum!

1 cup quick cook oats
1 cup oat flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup warm water

combine dry ingredients and blend thoroughly. Cut in butter with a fork then stir in cheese. add water and mix, kneading when dough gets too thick to stir. divid dough in to 2 parts and shape in to circles about 1/4" thick. Cut in to 4 equal wedges  and bake on lightly greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Bannocks hot out of the oven. I also got to use my new silicone baking mat!
I had mine for breakfast with tea and felt very British :-) Enjoy!

1 comment: