Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Eating Healthy On The Cheap

Photo courtesy of Fresh Market 

So as usual many of my New Years resolutions have to do with food and health and generally eating in a better, more responsible manner.  I also want to stick to our money saving goals which we have continued to do pretty well on in spite of the holidays (although we did see an increase in spending last month as we expected we would). With these goals in mind I signed up for weekly special emails from some of the healthier stores nearby. In particular I want to eat better quality meat and dairy in the coming year but as most of you know this can be really expensive.

So I signed up for newsletters for Harry's Farmers Market, Whole Foods and Fresh Market to get notifications of weekly deals and specials and today I took advantage of some of these savings. I was so excited by this that I wanted to share it on my blog :-) Fresh market in particular has amazing Tuesday deals and that's where I went today. I normally don't shop at Fresh Market because they are SUPER expensive but to my surprise their Tuesday deals were incredible! I got organic, hormone free chicken and ground beef for $2.99 a lb and with the way we have cut back on meat consumption a pound of meat will last us 3 or 4 meals easily. They also had a great deal on milk but I didn't need any at the moment so I passed on that one for now. I can't wait to see what the special is next Tuesday!

I haven't taken advantage of any of the deals at Harry's or Whole foods yet because I'm waiting for the right items to go on sale but I have high hopes for these as well. If you are looking to save money but still eat quality foods I highly recommend keeping track the specials at these places. I have been amazed at the deals you can get. One word of caution though. The stores are trying to lure you in with the specials and then entice you to buy all their other beautiful, expensive items. You must resist and only buy the things that are on sale for crazy cheap. Stick to what you went there for and you'll be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment