Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Low Carb Cooking: Lazy Stuffed Cabbage

Maybe because we have nothing left to eat or cook with in the house I am feeling like cooking something awesome. Sadly it will have to wait for a while because even after we move we still won't have a working stove. I see a lot of salads in our future ;-)

In the meantime I thought I would share one of my new favorite low carb recipes. I mentioned before that I am always trying to find new and exciting recipes that Eric can eat on his low carb diet. This one has quickly become a staple because it is easy, fast and relatively cheap which are all requirements for a week night meal in our house. I originally found the recipe on Taste Spotting one of my favorite places to visit on the internet (seriously, go look at it, you will get addicted) but here is the link to the actual recipe which is from a lovely food blog called Mango and Tomato. I made this recipe last week for St. Patrick's Day because I wanted to make something at least reminiscent of Ireland.  I know that stuffed cabbage is Russian really but Eric hates corned beef so that was out and I thought  at least we could have a dish with ground beef and cabbage. Plus the finished dish is mainly white, orange and green so it's the colors of the Irish flag, yay! Here is a picture of the finished creation.

I know there is toast in this picture which makes this dish not low carb but that's because this is my plate and not Eric's and I sometimes can help but carb it up a little :-) Serve it without the toast and it's a reasonably healthy low carb dish. I love how easy this is to make too, as it's name suggests is perfect for lazy people (or just people who are really tired after having worked all day). It basically takes all the ingredients of stuffed cabbage (minus the rice)  and turns them in to a stir fry. If you want to be really lazy about it (and I definitely do) then you can buy the veggies pre-cut. We eat this dish all the time now, it's quickly become a go to meal for  weeknights.

3 comments:

  1. so glad you made the dish and liked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is wonderful! thanks so much for sharing this recipe, it is so delicious and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man....already hooked on Taste Spotting....thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete